Penguin x Chocolate

This was the big surprise of a lot of resin kits I got off Yahoo Auctions Japan for cheap (1,111 yen, about 10 Euros ^_^): an entirely pre-finished and pre-painted resin kit by T's System! Identifying it took a bit of work, as none of the paperwork included had the maker's name on it, but doing a Google-Image search for the Japanese word for "penguin" plus "WF 2012" (for "Wonderfest 2012", the edition of the Wonderfest convention the other kits were from) yielded an immediate hit. The kit is from Wonderfest 2011 Winter, by the way.

Parts and instructions with original artwork from the character designer:

A word on the pre-painting on this kit: it's excellent and a combination of airbrushing and hand painting (+ possibly decals for part of the eyes). The airbrushing is especially impressive, with zero orange peel effect and a very smooth finish - and would be a great example of 'excellent' airbrushing to a whole lot of people who claim to have excellent results (or get praised for it) while they don't. However, some of the paint is rather fragile, especially the brown paint, and chips very easily (just putting the kit down is enough). This is a bit of a bummer because once completed the kit sits on parts that are covered in this brown paint. Looking at the finishing of the kit makes me both appreciate that I have a long way to go in getting better paint skills, but also that going for a perfect finish on any kit is not really possible - there's always places that somehow fail your expectations (but this kit hides them well...and that's a lesson too).

As far as I can figure out from the instructions, the kit can be assembled in 35 minutes tops, so I figured I'd build it. All the parts are slotted so they can only be assembled in one way. Some hand-fitting is still required, as some parts have excess resin preventing proper assembly. This can be cut off using a sharp modelling knife (as shown in the instructions). I followed a different order than indicated in the instructions, as some parts required a bit of force to insert, e.g. the head. It's easier to install those at a moment when you can hold the kit well. I used superglue like on any other resin kit, but pinning the kit was not required.

Once completed, it turns out that balancing the kit on hard surfaces is a bit difficult - she tends to tip forwards.

I do have some doubts about the poor penguin's well-being. Getting your sides squished in like that can't be healthy....even if penguins have a thick larger of fat -_-;.